Saturday, November 25, 2017

Kalief Browder and the broken system

As I watch Time: The Kalief Browder Story, my heart aches for the sorrow and pain felt by his family, his mother, and him. I couldn't imagine enduring the hurt from being accused of a crime that I didn't commit, to be incarcerated for that same crime I am not convicted. To be beaten, starved, stabbed and shot for a crime I didn't commit and the subsequent for fortune/infamy I didn't ask for.  Kalief endured it all. Suffered under the system that didn't give him the benefit of the doubt or innocent until proven guilty. He was guilty due to the color of his skin, the time of night out, and simply just because. He wasn't perfect or a saint but he didn't deserve what he was given.

It saddens me to no end how the system works on a "buy in buy out" policy. If you have the money you can get out of almost any situation you want. However, if you are poor or unable to afford bail you are just in. What can we do about a system that was not meant or built for lower income and impoverished to succeed. Nothing changes. The effects are long lasting and sometimes irreversible.

So many questions not enough answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment